What’s New in Nexus?
This release introduces updates to the system for statutory returns, a new approach to trend reporting, and updated terms and conditions for Nexus.
Statutory returns data collections updates
We have updated Keypas, Nova and Insight to reflect the DfE’s statutory changes this year in the following areas:
- EYFSP: The 2022 changes to the Early Learning Goals and Areas of Learning.
- KS1 and KS2 teacher assessments: The introduction of the Engagement Model, removal of P-Scales, removal of the D code and restoration of the science teacher assessment.
- Phonics: changes required due to the previous year’s data collection being moved to the autumn term. These changes enable Keypas to identify pupils who have retaken their phonics assessment in summer 2022 and collect their previous results from the autumn term.
Please note that the D code has only been removed from KS1 and KS2 teacher assessments; it will still be used for phonics and KS2 test results. Science teacher assessments will be required for both key stages 1 and 2.
COVID-19 trend handling and Insight amnesia for 2019/20 and 2020/21
Due to Covid19, schools were not required to follow the regular assessment cycle in 2019/20, and 2020/21 and the DfE has decided not to hold schools accountable for performance in attainment in these years.
Due to the gaps in data, we have made some changes to how your data is presented in Nova and Insight for the two years affected.
First, all trend analysis for key stages 1 and 2 and phonics will not include these years; instead showing analysis for 2018/19 and 2022 – the years 2019/20 and 2020/21 have been removed. The same changes will be applied to key stages 4 and 5 in another release later in the year. These changes will not be applied to other areas of analysis, such as absence and exclusions. Nova reports on predicted results will also not be changed; they will include 2019/20 and 2020/21.
Insight Intelligence has amnesia for 2019/20 and 2020/21 for key stages 1 and 2 and phonics. No data will show for these years on the Insight Intelligence page. However, Insight Headlines will not have amnesia, and you can still view any data you have imported in Keypas.
Important note: We have changed the settings in Admin > Perspective Services for all local authorities. We have turned off the 2019/20 and 2020/21 schools’ access to EYFSP, phonics, key stage 1, key stage 2, and key stage 4 analysis for all schools; they will not be able to access these areas in Perspective Lite for the two years. If your local authority would like their schools to be able to view the data for 2019/20 and 2020/21, you can toggle school access in the usual way on the Perspective Services page in the admin menu. No changes have been made to your local authority’s settings for absence, exclusions, or other years.
The Nexus Terms & Conditions have been updated
Please take a few minutes to review the terms and conditions on Nexus, Perspective Lite and other software you may use, including Pendulum, Broadcast, and Watchsted.
There are updates throughout the page, but in particular, we would ask that you review the sections on the National Pupil Database (NPD) data provided by the DfE and the strict guidelines we need to follow in terms of CLA data suppression and publication limitations (sections 32 to 42). Failure to adhere to these guidelines, and section 42 in particular, could result in the DfE withdrawing access to DfE CLA NPD data in future years.
Other minor updates and improvements, including
- Batch reporting update: To save LAs time creating batch reporting books for the new EYFSP framework, all existing batch report books for EYFSP have been converted to the new framework. These new batch reporting books have been given the suffix new framework. The new batch report books will not include any cross-key stage books and any reports that include filters set to choose exceeding. All EYFSP batch report books on the old framework have been deleted but if you need access to any of them, please contact the help desk.
- Where a file fails to import because of an error in the file structure, the user will now be told the last UPN processed before the file error was encountered. The user will be able to search the file for the UPN given and use this as a starting point to identify and resolve the mistake before attempting to import the file again. This applies to XML files imported for EYFSP, Predicted Outcomes (EYFSP, Phonics, KS1, KS2) and School Census.
- Changed the ‘Cross Key Stage’ label to ‘Pupil Premium’ in Keypas > Tree View.
- The school or School Group name will appear at the top of the page on Insight > Headlines or Pupil Groups to show which cohort has been selected in the cohort dropdown.
- On importing KS1, KS2 from DfE and KS2 TA files, the Keypas grid link now takes the user to the Pupils table to show the data that has been imported.
- The ULN field has been added to the spring school census Imported Pupil Data table in Keypas.