There are 2 levels of permissions for this page. A Nexus user can have privileges to view the page itself and also to view pupil-level data on the page (after drilling down)
The Absence and Exclusions detail pages provide you with a detailed view of your absence and exclusions data. They allow you to see high-level information as well as code and reason level breakdowns either by school (when scope is set to LA) or by pupil (when scope is set to School).
The pages have a number of features to allow you to interact with the data including:
• Filtering by characteristic and phase
• Flippable sections that give you more information for a given indicator
• Aggregated school and pupil level list views
Select Insight>Details and then Absence Details or Exclusion Details to load the page with a set of default filters, many variations of filters can be applied to the entire page allowing for specific insights into the absence and exclusion data as shown below
When the data is collected
Remember that both absence and exclusions details are drawn from school census files, but the DfE collects those details a full term in arrears (i.e. the October census collects the previous summer term absence and exclusions). For this reason full year figures may not be available until the following term. For example, in April you would only be able to see the Autumn Term analysis for absence or exclusions because that term was all that was collected in the January census. After May census is loaded you'd be able to see Autumn and Spring terms. The full year would not be available until the following October census was loaded.
Note that the pupil premium file should also have been loaded to provide information on this key group in characteristics.
Filters and controls
The screenshot above shows the filters and controls that can be applied. The entire control panel can be hidden and revealed by using the arrow at the bottom of the panel.
By applying filters at this level the whole page is updated. You should note that some of the filters will mean that elements of the page might show as 100% or 0%. For example if you filter to Female pupils any indicator relating to girls will shows as 100% and boys as 0%.
- Scope - allows you to select LA, school or school group as the focus of the report (note that selecting school means that drill down will go to child level if you have the permissions to view them). When on LA or School group drill down will display school results.
- Term - allows you to choose whether to include just the Autumn Census figures, the combined Autumn and Spring term figures or the Full Year figures
- Enrolment status - relates to the status of pupils within the census
- Phase - allows selection of the phase of the school, for example Infant or Junior schools within the primary phase. Some elements of analysis may be considered less relevant when the selection is left on 'all'
- Key Stage/NC Year - allows selection of either a key stage or a single NC year. Though 'All School Age (R-11)' is the default, NC Years 12,13 and 14 are also available.
- Characteristic group - allows selection of a pupil characteristics from the census, pupil premium status and IDACI Deciles. (The pupil premium file must have been loaded to use the Disadvantaged group)
- Comparator - selects the comparator that will be applied to the page alongside the 'Scope' - Regional or National.
Note that multiple filters can be applied at the same time, for example Male, NCY 5, Disadvantaged pupils.
Various panels and types of analysis are available on the page, controlled by the filters specified above. It will take a few seconds to update the page when the filters are applied. Underlined text/values will allow you to click the link and bring up school level figures (for example clicking the numerical value on the Persistent Absence Breakdown will show the breakdown for each school in the LA).
Some panels have an additional control at the bottom
If you click the control, the panel will spin around and provide more detail about the content of the panel.
The page will also allow export to CSV format by clicking the button at the top.
The bottom of the page shows the pupil groups performance for each of the key groups in their absence/exclusions measures and the percentile distribution of the schools (absence only) and the Exclusions Reason analysis (Exclusions only)
Both pages present simple visualisation and verbalisation of key measures such as the Absence analysis below:
When viewing the details available we see the breakdowns and clickable links to bring up the schools included:
If we click the the count (or other underlined numbers) we see the breakdown of the clicked category for your LA schools (names of schools have been hidden in the screenshot)
On each page we have a pupil groups breakdown (again with clickable links to drill down to either school or child level (depending on the scope set above))
Additional use case
Aside from the general advantage of having a analysed, visualised and verbalised Absence and Exclusions information available, these pages are also useful where LA do not otherwise have access to timely information from their schools (academies that do not otherwise share data with the LA) and only school census information is available. Though only available a term in arrears, these pages will help the LA fulfil the duties to monitor and take action regarding attendance and exclusions in those schools.
Perspective Lite equivalent
Absence and Exclusions details pages are available in Perspective Lite via the Analysis (Insight) link where LA have enabled it for their schools. Please note in Perspective Lite, the scope is pre-defined and locked as 'School' and so drill down is to the pupil level.