Setting up a new user in NCER Nexus is quite a simple process and can be undertaken by any member of staff in your LA with the Can Add, Delete and Manage Users permission enabled.
All accounts are created through the same process, it’s only at the point of assigning privileges that the process diverges, though your LA may put different controls in place on approving account requests depending on the type of user/user privileges that will be requested.
Setting up a new Nexus User
Providing you have the Can Add, Delete and Manage Users permission you can follow the following process:
- Log into Nexus using your account (using the Two Factor Authentication (2FA) token)
- Hover over Admin and click Users.
- Check that the user does not already have an account set up already by searching for any part of their name.
- Assuming they do not already have an account, click Add A User
- Fill in the Add New User form
- The mandatory fields here are First Name, Last Name and Email. The Local Authority field will automatically populate for your LA.
- The email is essential, as this is how the user will be contacted and the account cannot be validated if this email is not correct.
- The username will automatically be generated based on the first and last names you entered for that user. If the username is already in use, you must untick the Create username from name and surname field, so you can then enter an alternative. The username is checked against users across all LA's, so it may be taken by someone at another Local Authority (even if it was the same person who has now left that LA and come to yours)
- To ensure that a Welcome Email is sent to the new user, tick the Send welcome-email option.
Once you click Save, the user will be sent an email asking them to validate the account. They have 72 hours to do so before it expires. If the user does not activate within 72 hours, they will need to use the Forgotten Password option on the Nexus login page to request a new one. See the guide on 'Logging into Nexus' article for the initial account set up process from the new user's perspective. If they will be a user who will require Two factor authentication, please also see the article to assist them with that.
Once you have saved your new user, you will be taken to a screen that looks like the below image.
By default, a new user account is set up as a restricted user with no user privileges to make use of the system. You can alter this at any time, for further information on this, please see the Permissions guide.
As soon as your new user has activated and validated their account, you will no longer be able to edit any of the information in their Details panel. This must be maintained by the user themselves.