There are two ways to view CLA analysis within Nexus - Nova and Insight. This article is an overview of the Nova reports module. If your Nexus account is a Virtual Head user you'll be navigated directly into Nova upon login. All other users can navigate to Nova via the Nova menu bar item and find the CLA analysis amongst the other key stage reports on the Reports Dashboard.
The guide to CLA Insight is here.
Nova Reporting Dashboard
Alternatively you can type ‘CLA’ into the Tags search box to limit the reports in the dashboard to just those with CLA analysis. Other search features allow you to limit the reports by key stage and title to help you quickly locate the exact report you need.
CLA analysis differentiates itself from the other analysis within Nova by the naming, tags, blue coloured header bar, and the CLA logo found on the report titles.
Each report can be marked as a favourite by clicking the heart icon found on its panel. You can then use the filter on the Reports Dashboard to limit the reports list to your favourites.
The dashboard also covers three different view modes for listing the reports:
- Grid - The default, compact view of box panels showing the report's title, thumbnail and action buttons.
- List - A stacked compact list of the available reports with extra information such as a report's description and tags.
Hover over a report's thumbnail and click on the Preview link to see a large image of the report. This is useful if you need reminding what rows and columns a report contains without waiting for it to run
Each report on the dashboard also has two buttons:
- Run - Navigates to the main report page which allows you to control the applied filters, aggregations and display options for a report.
- Source - Defaults to the most up to date data source. Not every report offers more than one data source (as some assessments are simply collected from schools) but where there is more than one option you can select from the drop down. The sources are as follows:
- KEYPAS - assessment data loaded by the LA after collection from schools or download from DfE data sources by the LA. KEYPAS data is complete for each LA, but depends on every LA loading their data. The KEYPAS Import Indicators widget on the Nexus homepage will show the status of your LA uploads as well as the total national uploads for each data collection.
- NPD - National Pupil Database - files provided by the DfE to NCER. NPD data is complete for all LA but can be delayed by DfE.
- Predicted - This data source appears only where the LA has undertaken an optional collection of results for the assessment. Introduced during Covid-19 disruption to assessments, this was the only possible data source for some assessments in years 2020 and 2021. The functionality was not specific to Covid-19 and remains available.
A report's main page is split into two sections. Depending on the device you are using, the arrangement on the screen may differ from device to device.
- Report Preview - the large area that displays the resulting report
- Report Parameters - your control centre that allows you to customise the content of the report.
Report parameters allow you to control and customise the CLA analysis by applying:
Pupil filters: to restrict analysis to a specific pupil cohort - e.g. boys, pupils with EHCP, pupils who are eligible for FSM etc.
Aggregations: useful where filters may need to be run more than once e.g. to view analysis for boys and girls within the same report or analysis of boys and girls by SEN provision.
Display options: change aspects of the layout of the report such as how calculations are presented or the domains to be included for comparison.
Saving Parameters & Applying Saved Parameters
If you will need to run a report with a certain configuration of parameters repeatedly over time, you can save those parameters for quick application on your next visit. Simply set up the parameters in your preferred fashion, click the Save Params button and give the configuration a name.
The next time you visit the report you can switch to a saved parameter configuration by selecting it from the ‘Using Default Parameters’ drop-down menu above the Apply All, Save Params and Reset buttons.
Customising Reports Outside Nova
Nova reports are very versatile. However, on occasion, local requirements may necessitate a different presentation or you may wish to include data not held in Nexus. To export CLA data, see the article How to Export Data.
To give the Report Preview the maximum viewing space you can collapse the Report Parameters by clicking the Hide Params button or the ' X ' icon over to the right.
The main report page has been designed to be responsive - that is, it will best position the sections of the page based on the size of the screen you are working with. So, if you're working on a widescreen monitor the preview and parameters will sit side-by-side, but will stack if you're working with a narrower monitor or mobile device.
Link to CLA Data Sources and Methodology
Article is closed for comments.